Northland Ferries operates passenger and vehicle ferries in the Bay of Islands, providing regular and reliable connections for the local community and visitors to the region. It’s a fun and easy way to get out on the water and get around the Bay of Islands.
ALERT LEVEL 2
- The passenger ferry is operating as normal, although reduced passenger numbers of 49 apply.
- Household bubbles and groups may sit together – please maintain social distancing of 2 metres or more between groups and individuals.
- Vehicle ferries are operating as normal.
- Do not travel if you feel unwell or have any COVID-19 symptoms.
- Please continue to check in using the COVID contact tracing app, or sign the onboard register.
- Foot passengers must wear a face mask at all times while on board. Vehicle ferry passengers must wear a mask if exiting their vehicle.
passenger Ferry Timetable
Crossing time: 15 minutes
9:30am – 9:30pm ferry departures on the half hour
10:30pm (24 September 2021 – May 2022)
Crossing time: 15 minutes
9:00am – 9:00pm ferry departures on the hour
10:00pm (24 September 2021 – May 2022)
Drop-offs at Waitangi are available on request (10am & 3pm sailings from Russell only)
passenger FERRY PRICES
You can buy ferry tickets from our booking office or on board the ferry using EFTPOS, VISA, MasterCard or American Express.
Pre-booked tickets are valid for 7 days from the date of travel selected. Tickets are non-refundable unless for operational reasons.
The ferry service operates as a shuttle, departing approximately every 10 minutes during the day, and every 20 minutes early morning and late evening. Opua is about 7 minutes’ drive from Paihia and Okiato is about 10 minutes’ drive from Russell.
Our vehicle ferries are suitable for all vehicles including trucks, buses and campervans. Please note low tides may dictate travel time for extra-large vehicles, including oversize truck and trailer units, buses and overweight vehicles. Please contact us to confirm your requirements.
When boarding the ferry, please stay in the ferry lane and move forward as space allows. Please follow the instructions of the crew.
The speed limit on the ferry is 5km/hr. A dangerous goods declaration is required for all commercial vehicles.
Vehicle Ferry Timetable
Departures every 10 minutes (approximately) between these hours
Service departs from the Opua Ferry Terminal, Beechy St, Opua.
vehicle Ferry PRICING
You can buy vehicle ferry tickets on board or at the Opua Store. EFTPOS, VISA, MasterCard and American Express are available on board.
There is no additional charge for passengers travelling in the vehicle. Prices shown are for one-way travel.